Wednesday, March 9, 2011

updates from Dad while traveling to PNG part 1

Dear Family and Friends,
My Dad just left a week ago for Papua New Guinea. He will be there for the entire month of March, working with my Aunt Larose who will be presenting two  'Follow the Lamb' Seminars. These seminars are evangelistic meetings that share the gospel through the symbolism of the Old Testament Sanctuary. The next couple of emails are ones that he sent from airports along the way, as well as two from the destination. I didn't expect him to be able to communicate with us, since internet access there is sketchy at best, but we have been blessed to receive these. I hope you will enjoy as he shares some of the blessings and lessons in faith he has experienced along the way so far! 


March 1, 2011   (In Australia) - Sitting in Sydney on the way to PNG
I wrote this note while flying from Kansas City to Los Angeles yesterday and wanted to share it with you. Currently my sister Larose and I are comfortably resting in the International Terminal in Sydney. Our flight out isn't until 7:00 am in the morning so we are planning to hang out here over night if we can since we don't have funds for hotels.

Here is my note...
When traveling on God's journeys, one often meets with unexpected delays and interruptions. Often these become more than minor inconveniences when the interruption threatens to sabotage the entire trip. This was the case on Sunday, February 27 when I was to begin my journey to Papua New Guinea for the planned evangelism with my sister Dr. Rose.

During the previous night the fog rolled in and when I arose at 5:30am I noticed that the drive up to Kansas City was not going to be the pleasant one I had hoped for. The plan was to leave the house at 8:00 am for the 2.5 hour drive to the Kansas City Airport to allow plenty of time to prepare for my 12:10pm departure to Los Angeles via Minneapolis - St. Paul.

I figured there would be no problem with flight delays due to the mid-day departure. Everyone knows the fog lifts by noon under normal conditions. Well after going through all the routines of getting the boarding pass, checking the bags and security clearance, I began the wait, anxiously watching out the window for some sign the fog would lift. I began hearing announcements for other flights that were delayed, or even worse, canceled. Still, with undaunted faith, I waited for the fog to lift before my flight time came. Surely God planned for me to be on that plane after He had provided the funds for the non-refundable tickets didn't He?

I called family members and posted on Facebook and shared the need for prayer. Many were praying that God's will would be done and sure enough, it was! The fog did NOT lift! "What?" You say. "I thought you were going to say that you saw a miracle and the fog lifted just in time for your plane to slip down and land so every thing would be just exactly the way you hoped for.

So what do you do when the miracle you hope for does not materialize and you have to make major changes to your plans? I called the Delta agents and they said they could get me on a flight the next day and on to Sydney a day later, but it arrived 1 hour and 40 minutes after my connecting flight on to Port Moresby so that wouldn't do. With a little walking, I checked at the SouthWest ticket counter and was able to get on a non-stop flight to LA that arrived 3 hours before my outgoing flight to Sydney. Yes, it cost an extra $475 but God had already impressed someone's heart to send a $500 gift just a couple of days before heading out.

I had planned to use that $500 in PNG for the many needs there, but God knew I would need it even before I got started. So back to the question... How do we handle situations where it seems that God does not answer prayers the way we hope He will. For me, it is simple. I have to realize that it just isn't about me! I am not even close to the most important person in God's master plan that would make it so that everything has to go the way I plan for it to go. Is there a divine appointment God has for me on this plane? I don't know and maybe never will. I am simply at peace with the fact that God is in control of my life and even if I had been unable to make it to LA on time to travel with my sister, that is ok.

For me, the important thing is to ask God to give me the peace and contentment of knowing that at all times, He is in control of my life. I want to make a point to be encouraging, affirming, kind and gracious to all who are around me in a situation like this. The ticket agents, gate agents and all who make it their job to make travel by air as comfortable and hassle free as possible. I would not want to be in their shoes on a day like today.

I am writing this as the plane wings high over the darkened landscape. In an hour or so, we will be descending into Los Angeles and I can't wait to see what God has in store for me there. There is nothing quite like being on His mission!

***************
Back to the present.  Thank you so much for your prayers. It means so much to Larose and I to know you are holding us up in prayer. Tomorrow I get to be welcomed to my favorite country by one of my favorite friends and it doesn't get much better than that.
I do not know when I will be able to get another note out as Internet connections in Vanimo are minimal and last time I was there I could not get out at all.
Sincerely,

Jack Sample
Director
Hope On Wings Foundation
620-670-4475

Our Mandate
God's people have a mighty work before them, a work that must continually rise to greater prominence. Our efforts in missionary lines must become far more extensive. A more decided work than has been done must be done prior to the second appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ. God's people are not to cease their labors until they shall encircle the world.--6T 23, 24




No comments: