Sunday, February 3, 2008

Where in the World am I?

God sure likes to cause changes in my life, and He likes to make them happen in a rapid and almost unbelievable way. Six weeks ago I was getting ready to go on Christmas break, when an unexpected opportunity fell in my lap. I was asked to join the Union recruiting team going to Generation Youth for Christ, an amazing 4 day conference jam packed with 20 seminars to choose from, morning and evening meetings, outreach, and lots of other stuff to fill in the time. While there I talked to lots of people about the International Rescue and Relief program at Union and encouraged them to check it out. But I wasn't satisfied with it. I had heard about a program at Wildwood Lifestyle Center in Georgia so I went and looked for their information booth. What I discovered was program that focused on medical missionary training. They go into such detail and cram so much into the three years, that by the time you are done, you are equiped to do the work of a doctor in a third world remote situation. It was exactly what I have always been looking for. But I didn't want to even think about going there. I was comfortable at Union. I had some amazing friends that I didn't want to leave. Plus, I was only 3 semesters away from graduating with my undergrad degree and then entering the Masters in Physician Assistant Studies offered there at Union. But then I got to thinking. Staying at Union would put me at least $100,000.00 in debt which would take at least 3 years to pay off. So I would be looking at 7 years of studying and working in the U.S. before being able to go overseas which is where I fully believe God is calling me. Plus, I really wouldn't be equiped to work in a third world environment because the diseases are completely different. And I wouldn't know any natural healing methods that I could teach the people to use.



God was speaking to my heart and telling me that Union was not the place for me anymore. It was time to move on to where I could get better training for the service He wants me to do. So I didn't go back to college after Christmas vacation. Instead, I moved up to South Dakota with my parents where I am now working to earn $$$ for the program at Wildwood.

I'm living at the Black Hills Health and Education Center where I'm volunteering in return for a place to stay and food to eat. I also have a job in the afternoons taking care of an elderly lady who had a stroke not too long ago. By the time summer comes around, I will have my firefighter training and will be able to work all summer on a traveling fire department that responds to fires all around the country.



It shouldn't be so amazing to me to see God leading in such a significant way in my life, but it is. I love watching it! What He asks of me is often not easy, but that is only because He wants me to learn to depend on His strength and learn to trust in His plans even though I can see no reason for what is going on. He often puts me in places where I am not comfortable, but that is when I depend on Him the most because I feel inadequate and I know that I need Him. God is soooo GOOD!



I hope and pray that all of you who read this, will also listen to His voice calling you to trust Him and let Him lead. He has such amazing plans for everyone, but most are not willing to follow those plans. So have a great week deepening your trust in God! :)



Corrie

1 comment:

Evan said...

Glad that you are listening to God's leading. He will really turn your life around for him.