Thursday, February 3, 2011

Almost on my way!!!

Hi Everyone!

This is just a short note to update you on the recent happenings in my life. On Sept. 27 I took my nursing boards and I found out soon after that I passed!!!!!!! So now I am officially a Registered Nurse. :)  I'm so thrilled to see how God has brought me through the training and then helped me on the test. Now my dream of being a missionary nurse is very close to being fulfilled.

On September 29, I flew to Guadalajara, Mexico with Fred and Diana Adams. I went along on their one week trip in order to help in whatever way I could. The purpose of the trip was to fly in the mission plane up into the mountains where the Huichol Indians live. Pastor/Pilot Dagoberto Cirilo flew us to several different villages and we were able to talk with and encourage various Adventist Huichols, who face persecution from their own people when they forsake the traditions of their tribe that do not fit with their new beliefs. Fred was also able to provide encouragement to a young man by the name of Luis. He had been paralyzed in a car accident about a year ago and hardly ever left his home because he was ashamed of needing help getting around. He still had a lot of function, though. He was paralyzed from the waste down, but still retained control of bodily functions and was even able to stand, though he couldn't take steps. With hard work and therapy, he probably will be able to walk again. Fred, who is a quadriplegic due to a construction accident that occurred in Mexico 23 years ago, talked to Luis about getting rid of the word 'impossible'. He encouraged him to do as much as possible for himself and push himself beyond what he thinks his limits are. The visit seemed to be a big encouragement to Luis and that evening, he and his parents came to the evening vespers program held in the Adventist church. It was the first time his dad had come to church, though he had been invited many times.  I really enjoyed the trip, helping to lift Fred into and out of the plane and vehicles, walking around the villages getting pictures and videos, and helping to cook meals. The one week passed really quickly.

The past two weeks I have been staying with Fred and Diana while preparing for Bolivia. And now, I only have today and tomorrow to finish the last minute packing and details. I fly out of Sacramento, CA early Wednesday morning and will arrive in Santa Cruz, Bolivia on Thursday morning. I would appreciate your prayers that all the travel goes smoothly and that I won't have too terrible a time getting my Bolivian visa once I arrive. I'm so excited to see how God is leading and providing and am looking forward to seeing in what areas I can serve once there.  It's impossible to know exactly what I will be doing once there . . . there are so many options, I just have to wait and see what needs I can best fill.

If you want to see pictures of our trip to Mexico, you can visit http://picasaweb.google.com/cosample The pictures are also posted on my facebook profile.

Thank you all for your love and prayers!!!!
God bless!
Corrie

No comments: