Thursday, February 3, 2011

Back from Bolivia! 12/31/10

Dear Friends and Family,

So I am back in the good ol' USA. :) I very much enjoyed my time in Bolivia, but I have to say that I'm also very glad to be back in the U.S. My time in Bolivia was actually a huge challenge for me, mainly because I didn't feel like I fit in any of the places where I worked. There was lots of adventure and fun, but I never felt like I was where God wanted me. However, I know that God was working through it all to change me even more into the person He wants me to be. I learned so much about myself . . . most of which I didn't like to see. But I'm encouraged because I can see that God is still working in me. I'm still a work in progress, and He hasn't finished with me yet.

The last few weeks I have been really wondering and praying about what God would have me do next. Where does He want me go? What does He want me to do? Who does He want me to be? I have also had to ask myself questions about my motives for wanting to be a missionary. So often, I believe my primary motivation is the adventure and excitement that comes with mission life overseas. And that is not the right motivation. So I have been asking God to give me a love for the people and give me direction as to what country He wants me in. And I praise Him that He has been answering, and is opening a door of opportunity for me to serve in the country where I grew up.

Hope On Wings is an organization that is beginning a very important work in Papua New Guinea. The main focus of this program is to connect the willing, trained national workers with the villages where they are needed using airplanes. Each pilot working with Hope On Wings will provide air support for 10-15 of these national missionaries, many of whom are trained as Bible workers or nurses. The dream is to have a whole fleet of small aircraft blanketing the country supporting national missionaries in every unreached area of the country. God is working in a spectacular way to get this project off the ground, and already one pilot and airplane are nearly ready to begin flying. God has also provided a home base in Hepler, Kansas where those who wish to become pilots and work in PNG can receive their training for as low cost as possible. I believe that God is leading me to become one of the pilots, so I have decided to join the Hope On Wings team full-time. My student loans are still pressing, but I believe that God wants me to move forward in His work and He will provide what is needed to make that happen. I could work for a couple of years to pay off loans and then enter the mission field, but people are dying without a saving knowledge of Jesus. So I’m entering upon a faith journey, believing that God will provide for ALL my needs. I covet your prayers, as this journey will not be easy.  I have such a strong tendency to try to work out everything in my own strength and do things according to my own understanding. Surrender of my own will has never been easy for me. But I truly believe that this is what God wants me to do.


So now I am in Hepler, Kansas. I will be helping with a little bit of everything here, while at the same time beginning my flight training. On weekends I will be heading out to various churches to share the story with others and provide an opportunity for people to share in the mission project as prayer supporters or as financial supporters, if God should impress them to give. I would really encourage each of you to visit our website at http://cosample.hopeonwings.org and watch the short introductory video found on the home page. This video provides a great picture of the need in PNG and how we are hoping to fill that need. If any of you would like me to come and visit your churches, let me know. J

To see pictures and video of my adventures in Bolivia, visit the following links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKRxKjSU4RI
http://picasaweb.com/cosample

Thanks so much to all of you for your prayers!

In His Service,
Corrie

No comments: